Monday, April 9, 2012

Warning… This Isn’t Going to be Pretty


Warning… This Isn’t Going to be Pretty

          When I first planned the entry to mark my 40th birthday, this was my original title.  I was well prepared to lament how physically I was feeling my age and the ever-entertaining ways my body was changing.  (One has to laugh about it, right?) 
          However, I have just spent three of the most relaxing day with the boys and family. I did not have the “back-to-work Monday” looming at the end of the weekend.  So, on the drive home, sitting in the back seat between the two of them, I knew I needed to take a more positive approach.
          When I turned 30, I sat one night with my journal.   I was on my porch, wine glass in hand, chimenea aglow and dog at my feet.  I was thinking about the summer – and the three weddings I would be attending – alone.  I was thinking about the two weddings I had attended the year before – alone.  I was thinking alone was not a very happy place to be.  I penned quite a pity party that night.
          It was time for a change.  I decided to relocate – sell my house and leave all the local comforts I had come to depend upon.  I was going to go live by the beach and start over!  Lucky for me, the universe works in wonderful ways.  I was hired in Waterford – which was somewhat familiar territory (my aunt and cousin live there).  The only apartment available that backed up to the woods was across from a handsome, single engineer – (now that’s a story for another blog!)
          In the past ten years I have married and incredible man, owned two homes, and been blessed with two beautiful boys.  I’ve gotten my 200 hour yoga certification, took a course in writing children’s literature and taught two new grades.  I’ve started a young adult novel, dabbled in picture book writing, and continued to add to my collections of poems.  Most recently, I have started this blog.  So, to steal a post from another person turning 40 this year…I will be turning 30 plus 10 year’s experience!
          Sure, I’m not as fast as I used to be, my face has its share of experience lines and it takes more effort to lift and separate!  But as I sit here at 6 a.m., under my fleece blanket, coffee mug in hand, listening to the birds sing their wake up song, I am definitely in a very happy place.

No comments:

Post a Comment