Thursday, June 21, 2012


               
      “Possession is nine-tenths of the law is an expression meaning that ownership is easier to maintain if one has possession of something, and much more difficult to enforce if one does not.” (www.wikipedia.org.) I have decided to apply this principle to my parenting of Alex.  My version reads:  Possession of Alex 90% of the time, makes it easier to keep him safe and out of trouble.  You see, Alex is a runner, a dare devil, and a breaker of any and every rule.  He can be sure to get into a room, a plant and a predicament as soon as I leave the room.  Here’s a little sample of my day:
                We don’t throw food…Don’t spit out your milk…What did you just eat off the floor? …Get back here…The plant is not a toy…We don’t eat dirt…Get down…Sit down…Andrew, where is Alex?...Alex, where are you?...We don’t hit our brother with cars…The toy box is not for sitting…How did you get on the table?...Don’t bang the table…We don’t throw toys…Yuck! Don’t drink that!...Rocks are not for eating…Alex! Alex! Come back here!
                So you get the idea.  I do try to positively reinforce whenever possible.  And I know in his little mind, he is competing for my attention and trying to make his presence known. I am just so amazed how much he has learned and how much personality he has - in 16 months!
                There is another side of Alex too.  He is a cuddler and a snuggler.  He loves to give and receive hugs and kisses.  When he gets up in the morning he wants to sit on your lap and stay there.  The same is true right before bed.  These are moments I soak in.  (Plus they help me rest up f or the day ahead!)
                This will be the summer of running!  Good thing we live on a cul de sac!
*Note:  No Alexes or mommies were hurt during the writing or posting of this blog.  He’s asleep! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment