Thursday, January 31, 2013

Mommy Confessions Revealed!


            One weekend, I had a rare few minutes to read through my Parenting magazine.  There was a book review section and one title caught my eye: Confessions of a Scary Mommy: An Honest and Irreverent Look at Motherhood - The Good, The Bad, and the Scary by Jill Smokler.  It was born from a blog Smokler developed while home with her children.  Each chapter begins with anonymous, but true, confessions, shared by blog followers.  The rest of the chapter is then a full description of her own experiences surrounding such topics as pregnancy, birthday parties, other people’s children and husbands.  I found these parts a bit self-indulgent but the confessions were hysterical and many rang true of my own life.  It inspired me to write my own list.  While they will not be anonymous, I hope you enjoy, get a little chuckle and take a few moments to ponder your own secret confessions!

v  I tell Andrew certain shirts are in the laundry so he can’t wear them.
v  I really began to enjoy running when I realized it was a guaranteed 30 minutes of “me” time.
v  I am not a morning person, but I get up at 5 a.m. so I can write, drink coffee and watch Days of our Lives.
v  I have spent 30 minutes carefully preparing a dinner only to have Andrew say, “I wish it was pizza night!”
v  I pretend to be asleep when Alex cries in the night so Jim will get up.
v  When Andrew’s questioning brings me to the brink of insanity, I say, “That’s a great question.  Go ask your dad.”
v  The boys yell, “Stop, Mommy! No sing!” every time I try to sing in the car.
v  I have no patience for children with bad, or no, manners.
v  I take long showers at night for an escape from the boys’ after dinner burst of energy.
v  I have turned the cooking of dinner over to Jim.  I have lost the motivation to be creative with food.

For short tidbits without reading the whole book, you can check out the Facebook page: Scary Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment