Thursday, January 24, 2013

Resolve to be You!



            So I’m a little late on writing about New Year’s resolutions, but that’s no surprise, I’m a little late for most things in my life! I feel I would be remiss as a blogger who imparts fabulous tidbits of knowledge and witty excerpts from my life, if I did not jump on the resolution train – even if it’s already left the station.
            In fact, my post couldn’t come at a better time.  In researching resolutions, this is what I found:
·         40 to 45% of American adults make one or more resolutions each year.
·         Among the top are resolutions about weight loss, exercise, and stopping to smoke. Also popular are resolutions dealing with better money management / debt reduction.
·         The following shows how many of these resolutions are maintained as time goes on:

-             * past the first week: 75%
-             * past 2 weeks: 71%
-             * after one month: 64%
-             * after 6 months: 46%

One statistic I found stated that the percentage of people who were successful at achieving their resolution was 8%!  This is why I believe I have come up with the best resolution yet.  Sure, I could resolve to save more money, get (and stay organized) organized both at work and at home, and be on time; but that just wouldn’t be me.  I don’t spend beyond my means.  Nowadays most of what I buy is for the boys anyway.  For years I have been declaring the effectiveness if my “disorganized disorganization.”  And, if I started to be on time, I would have to relinquish my self-appointed title: “Queen of Procrastination.”  (I never did get that crown!)
All that being said, my resolution for 2013 is to be me!  To be the BEST me I can for myself, my family and friends!  At 40, I have a pretty good grasp on my strengths and weaknesses.  And so do the people who care about me.  They have come to know I will be about ten minutes late, pile papers rather than file them away quickly and impulse buy books and shoes.  All these wonderful qualities make me Jess.  To change now could confuse those I care most about – and I certainly wouldn’t want to do that! 
      Therefore, in 2013, I will put all my energy into developing my strengths.  I suggest you do the same.  Why set yourself up to be one of those statistics that don’t achieve their resolution?  Why engage yourself in discussions about how you’re trying to “be good” or “get back on track.”  Just be yourself!  You will be MUCH happier in the end…and so will others around you.


        

No comments:

Post a Comment